What is this data entry capturing?
This data entry identifies the highest qualification held by the member of staff.
This information is returned to HESA and full details of the HESA requirements can be found on the HESA staff record webpage.
You may find it useful to read the Frameworks for Higher Education Qualifications of UK Degree-Awarding Bodies, specifically the table on page 17.
Who needs to enter this information?
All departments and all staff on permanent, fixed-term, open ended and variable hours contracts.
When capturing the highest qualification of a medical doctor, we are interested in their highest degree rather than professional exams or certificates that they may also hold.
First medical degrees are equivalent of a Master's degree (level 7) and should be mapped to the Core code MSTD.
- BSc(Med) - Bachelor of Science in Medicine
- BMBS - Bachelors of Medicine and Surgery
- BMBCh - Bachelors of Medicine and Surgery
- MBBS - Bachelors of Medicine and Surgery
- MBChB - Bachelors of Medicine and Surgery
Second medical degrees are equivalent of Doctoral degrees (level 8) and should be mapped to the Core code DCTD
- DM - Doctor of Medicine (awarded by thesis at some universities; awarded as a higher doctorate at some universities)
- MD - Doctor of Medicine (awarded by thesis at some universities; awarded as a higher doctorate at some universities)
- MD(Res) - Doctor of Medicine (Research)
- DSc(Med) - Doctor of Science (Medicine)
- DPhil / PhD - other doctoral study (often in clinical specialty area)
The use of the title 'Dr' by medical doctors is a historical abbreviation for the profession; it does not necessarily indicate a qualification at doctoral level (level 8).
How-To Guides - add and manage personal details
Examples of correctly coded records
Worked examples of how to correctly fill the highest qualification held are given below. Please note that when professional qualification (PROF), training course (TRNG) or NVQ / SVQ / other vocational (NVQV) are selected you must also tell us the level of the course in the Course Name box. We are interested in how the qualification maps to other national qualifications.
Do not fill out Academic Discipline 1 or Academic Discipline 2